Choosing The Right Attorney For Your Stepparent Adoption
Stepparent adoption brings closure to a family situation and builds a happy, stable environment for a child.
- You may be a single parent with a partner who would like to adopt your children.
- You may have married someone and want to adopt his or her children as your own.
- You may be bringing the child of a family member into your fold.
Whatever your situation, this is a momentous occasion, and we will guide you through each necessary legal step seamlessly.
At the Law Offices of Linda Risinger in Frisco, we understand what a big day it is for our clients when the court decision is final. We fully understand the importance of the build up to that occasion.
In Texas, Adoption Is A Two-Step Process
- If the child has a second living parent, the rights of that parent must be terminated legally before a stepparent is allowed to adopt the child. The second biological parent may give up their parental rights voluntarily, or they may contest the adoption.
If the adoption is contested, you must terminate rights by demonstrating in court that it is in the best interests of the child.
- The adopting parent must undergo a background check and a social, or home, study. This is a requirement of all forms of adoption.
Once the adoption is complete, the stepparent will become a legal parent, with all the attendant rights and responsibilities.
We take great care to perfect every step of the process of adopting a stepchild. Our goal is to help you move through the process with confidence. Upon completion, you should not have any worries about the finality of your parenthood.
When Dealing With Adoption, A Local Adoption Attorney Is Best
We believe that working with a local attorney is particularly valuable in adoption cases. We know the judges in Denton County and Collin County, and we understand their methods and tendencies.
Judges have considerable discretion in adoption cases. Having practiced law in the Frisco area for so many years, we understand the tendencies of local judges. Our lawyers know how to succeed in the local jurisdictions, and this is a critical aspect of your success that should not be underestimated.