location2591 Dallas Pkwy, Suite 300Frisco, TX 75034-8563

Call for a Free Consultation


Celina, Texas Child Custody Attorney

Celina, Texas child conservatorship and visitation attorney

Lawyer Helping Divorcing Spouses and Unmarried Parents Address Custody and Visitation in Celina, TX

The breakdown of a relationship between parents will also have an effect on the parents' relationship with their children. In cases where a married couple has chosen to pursue a divorce or when unmarried parents do not live in the same home, issues related to the custody of children must be addressed. These situations can lead to contentious disputes or custody battles, especially when parents disagree about where children will live or the level of responsibility they will each have in raising their children. To ensure that the best interests of the children will be addressed properly in these types of cases, a parent will need to work with an attorney who is experienced in family law.

By working with a lawyer who has extensive experience addressing child-related legal issues, a person can make sure their rights as a parent will be protected. When you work with the Law Office of Linda Risinger, we will offer legal advice and guidance in your case, ensuring that you focus on what is best for your children. We will help you address any concerns you may have about your children's safety, and we will advocate for you throughout the legal process to show that you will be able to provide for your children's needs.

Child Custody and Visitation Cases in Celina

In Texas, child custody is known as "conservatorship," and in most divorce cases, parents will be able to work together as joint managing conservators of the children they share. Joint conservatorship may also be appropriate if parents are unmarried, depending on the level of involvement each parent has had with their children in the past. However, there are some situations in which one parent may be granted sole managing conservatorship, allowing them to make decisions about their children without the requirement to consult with the other parent.

Whether joint managing conservatorship or sole managing conservatorship is appropriate, both parents will typically share physical possession of their children. One of the parents will usually be named the custodial parent, which will give them the right to choose the location of children's primary residence, but children will also be able to spend an appropriate amount of visitation with the non-custodial parent. In a standard possession order, a non-custodial parent will spend visitation time with children every other weekend, as well as on one evening per week and for up to 30 days during children's summer vacation. However, parents can determine other types of visitation arrangements that may be appropriate, such as equal physical custody in which children live with each parent during alternating weeks.

While married parents who are getting divorced will have the right to share custody of their children, unmarried parents may need to establish paternity before child custody issues can be addressed. Fathers will want to determine how they can protect their parental rights in child custody cases, but they should understand that Texas law is gender-neutral when addressing these matters. In situations where a parent has a history of addiction or substance abuse, they may have certain requirements regarding rehabilitation, and they may have supervised or restricted child visitation time. Parents may also need to determine whether an investigation by Child Protective Services will affect their custody rights.

Contact a Celina, TX Child Custody Lawyer

The decisions made in family court about child custody and visitation can have long-lasting consequences on the relationships between parents and children. The Law Office of Linda Risinger can advise you on the best way to handle these matters, and we will work to ensure that your children's best interests will be protected. Contact us and set up your complimentary consultation today by calling us at 972-294-6533.

Back to Top