location2591 Dallas Pkwy, Suite 300Frisco, TX 75034-8563

Call for a Free Consultation


Frisco Cohabitation Agreement Lawyer

Plano family law attorney for cohabitation agreements

Family Law Attorney Helping Unmarried Couples Create Property Agreements in Collin County

Marriage provides spouses with many different rights. However, couples often choose to live together without getting married, and they may not realize that this type of arrangement does not provide them with the same rights they would have as married spouses. Specifically, if an unmarried couple splits up, a person will not necessarily have the right to an equitable division of community property, and they will not have the right to receive spousal support. To address these issues, it can be beneficial for unmarried couples to create a cohabitation agreement.

Property agreements can provide couples with invaluable legal protections, both in the case of a breakup and in other situations, such as the death of a partner. The Law Office of Linda Risinger can advise you of your options for creating a cohabitation agreement, and we will work with you to negotiate the terms of your agreement and make sure you take the right steps to establish rights to property and support. By addressing these issues now, you can avoid uncertainty and confusion in the future, and you can make sure you are prepared to address legal issues related to your relationship, no matter what happens in your life.

Common-Law Marriage, Cohabitation, and Property Agreements

Couples who cohabitate may have a relationship similar to married spouses, but they usually will not have the legal protections that marriage provides. While Texas does recognize common-law marriage, a couple will only be considered to be legally married if they have lived together as husband and wife, have agreed that they are married, and have presented themselves to others as married spouses. Proving that these requirements have been met can be difficult, and in many cases, a couple that has not taken the steps to legally formalize their relationship will be considered to be unmarried.

Those who wish to live together while remaining unmarried can create a cohabitation agreement that will address their rights and other issues related to their relationship. This type of agreement must be in writing, and it must be agreed to and signed by both parties. A cohabitation agreement can address:

  • Property rights - A couple may make agreements about how ownership of different forms of property will be handled if their relationship ends. They may address real estate property, vehicles, physical items such as furniture or artwork, financial accounts, business interests, and debts. An agreement may also address ownership of pets.
  • Financial support - If one partner earns a higher income, a couple may agree that a certain amount of financial support will be paid in the event of a breakup. A cohabitation agreement may also specify that support will not be paid in certain situations, such as if the couple splits up due to cheating or infidelity.
  • Responsibilities during the relationship - Unmarried partners can use an agreement to decide how they will work together to pay certain expenses, whether they will share joint bank accounts, how they will maintain a budget for their individual or combined income and expenditures, and each partner's household responsibilities.
  • Inheritance rights - By addressing what will happen in the event of the death of one partner, a couple can ensure that their affairs will be handled correctly and that the surviving partner will have the necessary financial resources to meet their needs.
  • Emergency decisions - A cohabitation agreement may specify that one partner has the authority to act on behalf of the other partner in emergency situations, such as if they need to make decisions about medical care for a partner who is incapacitated.

Contact a Prosper Cohabitation Agreement Attorney

If you are unmarried, it can be beneficial to take action to protect your rights well before the possibility of a breakup enters the picture. At the Law Office of Linda Risinger, we can help you create a cohabitation agreement that fully addresses your concerns and ensures that you and your partner can maintain a successful relationship. Contact our office and arrange a free consultation today by calling 972-294-6533. We provide legal help with family law issues in The Colony, Plano, Little Elm, Collin County, Denton, McKinney, Frisco, Dallas County, Prosper, Denton County, and Celina.

Back to Top