location2591 Dallas Pkwy, Suite 300Frisco, TX 75034-8563

Call for a Free Consultation


The Colony, Texas Child Custody Lawyer

The Colony, TX child custody agreement attorney

Attorney for Legal and Physical Custody of Children in Divorce and Family Law Cases in The Colony

There are multiple different types of situations where parents may need to address matters related to the custody of their children. These issues most commonly arise when married parents choose to get a divorce, but child custody cases may also involve unmarried parents who have split up after cohabitating or situations where the paternity of a child may need to be established. When determining how to share custody of children, parents will need to make sure they are focusing on protecting their children's best interests, and the best way to do so is by securing representation from a family law attorney.

If you need to resolve matters related to child custody, the Law Office of Linda Risinger can provide you with skilled and dedicated legal help. We have more than 30 years of legal experience, and we can help you understand your rights and the issues that may play a role in your case. We will work with you and your child's other parent to reach agreements on how you will share the responsibilities of raising your children, while also determining the amount of time children will spend with each parent and addressing any other matters related to your children's best interests.

Child Custody Cases in The Colony, TX

Most of the time, family courts in Texas presume that it is in children's best interests for parents to serve as "joint managing conservators." In these cases, parents will share equal responsibility in making decisions for their children, and these decisions may address important issues such as the education children will receive, the forms of medical treatment that will be necessary to ensure that they can maintain proper health, whether they will attend church or receive religious training, and the types of activities they will participate in.

With joint managing conservatorship, parents will usually share legal custody of children. However, there may be some cases where it would be appropriate for one parent to have sole conservatorship or legal custody. In addition to addressing these issues, parents will also need to determine how to handle physical possession and visitation. Typically, one parent will have the right to decide where a child will primarily live, and this parent is known as the "custodial" parent. The "non-custodial" parent will have the right to spend time with the child on a regular basis, and a child visitation and possession order will be created detailing the schedules for when a child will stay in each parent's home.

In addition to working with parents to negotiate child custody orders, we can help address other custody-related issues, including:

  • Child custody and rehabilitation - If a parent has received treatment for drug or alcohol addiction, the other parent may be concerned about children's safety. We work to help parents regain custody rights following rehabilitation or ensure that the proper measures are put in place to ensure that children are protected, such as supervised visitation.
  • Rights of fathers - We work to ensure that fathers have equal rights to share custody and visitation of their children.
  • Parental relocation - When a custodial parent plans to move to a new home, their child custody agreement may need to be updated. We provide representation in these cases for custodial parents who are planning to relocate or non-custodial parents who are looking to avoid negative effects on their relationship with their children.
  • Child Protective Services (CPS) - Parents' child custody rights may be affected in cases where CPS performs an investigation following reports of suspected child abuse or neglect. We work to help parents resolve these cases without the need to go to court whenever possible.

Contact Our The Colony Child Custody Attorney

If you need help resolving legal issues related to your children, contact the Law Office of Linda Risinger and schedule a free consultation by calling 972-294-6533.

Back to Top